Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hoppy IPA day! (A top 5 list)

Any real beer connoisseur knows what today is.... its a massive holiday for beer drinkers. Particularly the hop lovers, such as myself.


official #IPADay logo
Except the above statement isn't really true. IPA day was founded merely a year ago. One might even argue this is essentially a ploy to obtain #trendingtwittertopic status.
(for the record, #Ihatehashtags - I think they are #dumb and #overkill and often #usetoomanywordsandarealmostimpossibletoread).

That said, I will encourage you to crack open a tasty, hopped up beverage of your choosing, hop on twitter, and mention what you are drinking followed by an #IPADay hashtag. While you are at it, send some love to @bakerandbrewer, too! I will be standing by, mouth watering, dreaming of some tasty Saaz'ed up libations.

With that in mind, here are my Top 5 IPAs that i recommend crushing on a day like today!



Two of Michigan's best breweries, duking it out for IPA bragging rights in the mitten state. While Bell's has the establishment and distribution advantage, Short's Brew makes a charge to the front of the pack as a surprise sleeper to the refined palates of IPA lovers.
Bell's gives this classic IPA a Centennial hop-mix that comes off with a real earthy, down-home hop flavor - compared to the citrusy variety of hops that Short's tosses into my newest beer-crush (*blushes), Huma Lupa Licious.



4. Ska Brewing - Modus Hoperandi


Surprisingly similar hop variety compared to Bell's Two-Hearted, its the can that does it for me. The color green is one of my favorites, and it also lets you know that this bad boy is loaded with green, fresh hop flavor. Not to mention, cans keep UV light out of the equation for a fresher brew!



3. Stone - Ruination IPA


"A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" 
Here is poetry to my ears: My father-in-law doesn't like IPAs, so I "had" to finish a few of these for him. Instantly carved a spot into my heart! Name comes from "ruining" one's palate from the intense hop flavor. The only thing it ruined is my ability to stomach Miller Light's "triple-hops brewed" piss-water. Who are they kidding - they don't put hops in that stuff....







A gloriously hopped Imperial IPA from the boys themselves... very difficult to not give them the top rating... I mean, they have been voted at the top of their class multiple times.
With a fruity, citrusy, aroma...y hop vibe, this baby is taaaaaaasty. 
But then again, do these dudes brew anything that isn't fantastic? I have yet to taste one that would lead me to believe otherwise.





1. Russian River - Pliny the Elder

Utilizing a quadricorn of hops, this majestic, mythical creature of a brew is a Double IPA that will blow your mind back to 23 AD - to meet the man after which this brew gets its namesake. I have had the privilege of consuming this brew but only once, but it was not to be forgotten. The beer community has my back on this rating. Top notch, without a doubt.




Now, before you hunt these down and kick back for a tasty tongue-tingler, also take note of the honorable mention brew(s)

Honorable Mention: Oskar Blues - Deviant Dale's
Haven't had this guy yet - but Dale's Pale Ale has a cult-like following, and i love it like it is my own child. Not to mention, it is rumored to be coming to Chicago soon. *giggles with excitement like a school girl*
So the assumption here is that this bad boy is numyummy!



Now go forth and celebrate such a glorious occasion - #IPADay has arrived and shall be celebrated in glorious fashion!
Granted, I kind of wish every day was IPA Day...


1 comment:

  1. now, go get these at your one-stop-shop, BINNY'S!! i recently found a binny's-like store just BLOCKS from our house! (how did i not know this place existed in the nearly 3 years i've lived here!?!?)

    cheers to IPA Day!

    ReplyDelete